AJ is close to impeaching his cohosts, similar to how America is close to impeaching Donald J. Trump. We’re talking about impeachment today, and butchering it. Ruchit believes that Mike Pence is the Frank Underwood
Mechanics of Impeachment
If Orin Hatch were to be impeached, how would it go?
- Article 2, Section 4: The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.
- Article 1, Section 2, Clause 5: House has the “sole” power of impeachment. Articles of Impeachment are adopted by a simple majority vote in the House
- Article 1, Section 3, Clause 6: the Senate tries any impeachment proceedings.
People have their own takes on impeachment:
- Akhil Reed Amar writes an article about recent impeachment.
- Compare to the Yahoo answers on Impeachment
The Clinton Impeachment
- Bill Clinton put on witnesses at his trial in the Senate.
- The Senate votes on whether Clinton is guilty. Some of the people who voted guilt: Jeff Sessions and John McCain
Andrew Johnson’s Impeachment
- To impeach him, the Congress passed the Tenure of Office Act
- The Act was later overturned in Myers v. US
- Johnson avoided impeachment by a single vote
Richard Nixon’s Impeachment
The Watergate hotel:
Ruchit really likes Richard Nixon. AJ doesn’t.
- AJ likes this book called Nixonland by Rick Perlstein
- Richard Nixon formed the Plumbers
- Y’all should watch Get Me Roger Stone
- Was Watergate a third-rate burglary?
- The Saturday Night Massacre & Robert Bork
- Nixon White House Taps
- The Nixon articles of impeachment
An Unassuming Member of Congress from the Midwest, like Gerald Ford:
Trump Special Counsel
- The powers of the Special Counsel are found at 28 CFR § 600
- The letter appointing Mueller as special counsel
- The SCIF room
- Some Filipino reactions to the reactions to the story: @iwriteasiwrite, @iwriteasiwrite, @gothtita
- Lola’s obituary, published in the Seattle Times, which has statements contradicting the Atlantic story. The Seattle Times later published a response to the Atlantic story.
- Paul Ryan hush money scandal
The crazy case of Samuel B. Kent.