AJ knows everything about coffee. Tom drinks coffee. Ruchit drinks decaf coffee.
Coffee is a seed
Takes a lot of work before AJ and Tom can drink their coffee and snobbishly look down on Ruchit.
- Coffee seed is removed using the washed method.
- Alternatively, you can dry-process coffee or use the hybrid method.
- Robusta vs. Arabica beans
We take a quick digression:
Coffee Waves Framework
Like feminism, coffee comes in waves:
- The waves framework
- Trish Rothgeb neé Skeie original article
- Anderson’s coffee, a second wave roaster.
- Alfred Peet
- Third-wave coffee
- Salon: Baristas gone wild: Meet fourth-wave coffee
- Civet coffee, made from cat poop.
AJ has a very specific coffee-making routine.
First, he roasts the coffee
- AJ buys his own green coffee and roasts his coffee.
- Sweet Maria’s for all your green coffee needs
- Heat-gun dog-bowl method
- AJ’s heat gun
- A coffee roasting oven
- City roast, Full-City roast
Second, he heats the water
- AJ has a goose-neck kettle
- AJ grinds his beans with his favorite grinder: Orphan Espresso Lido E
Third, he brews his coffee
- AJ uses a pour over Chemex with coffee socks.
- Vacuum coffee pot
- Hario Mizudashi for cold brew coffee
- Moka Pot
- French press
As an aside, check out coffee naps. They’re good.
Ruchit: The Maker, Toast
- Check out Big Bend