The United States Court of International Trade has ruled that Snuggies are blankets, not priestly vestments. As a result, import tariffs are reduced by nearly half. The full opinion is available here.
Is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit?
Supreme Court Predictions
In this section, we take three random cases that are before the Supreme Court and predict the outcome. We are holding ourselves accountable by keeping track our predictions on our website.
- Lee v Tam (whether the government has to trademark something that is disparaging?)
- Nelson v. Colorado (whether the government has to give the money back to an individually wrongfully convicted?)
- Civil Forfeiture is when law enforcement take money/property from people suspected a crime without always charging the owners a crime.
- Midland Funding v. Johnson (whether you can sue under the FDCPA when someone files a barred claim in a bankruptcy proceeding.)
Everything We Know About Secrets
- John Cook from the Intercept on how they handle secret documents.
Finally, everything we know about border searches.
- Everything We Know About the Ninth Circuit
- Ninth Circuit Order [pdf].
- New York Times article on border searches and Ars Technica article on border searches
- Department of Homeland Security paper outlining its policies [pdf]
- Payton v New York, where the New York statute authorizing warrantless arrests and searches is struck down.
- U.S. v. Flores-Montano, where customs officers did not need reasonable suspicion at an international border to remove, disassemble, and search a vehicle’s gas tank for illegal material.
- U.S. v. Montoya de Hernandez, the Supreme Court held that a traveler can be detained at an international border for four days constitutionally.
- Tom on when police can stop, detain, or arrest you.
- Riley v. United States [pdf], where the Supreme Court says that cell phone searches are not incident to arrest.
- In Colonial America, Writs of Assistance created tensions between the colonials and the British.
- Persian Gulf naming dispute
Anyone can be Speaker of the House, including Hillary Clinton.
Bonus Content: where we review & unbox the Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone.