Ruchit’s computer might have been hacked by the same hackers who hacked Equifax.
Trump declares war on North Korea
But first, Trump threatens to totally destroy North Korea.
Equifax Breach & Arbitration
[The breach may have] compromised data from 143 million Americans including Social Security numbers, driver’s license numbers and credit card numbers. About 209,000 credit card numbers were exposed as well as “dispute documents with personal identifying information” for 182,000 Americans, the company said in a news release.
- In the beginning of August, three Equifax executives sell off millions of dollars worth of Equifax shares, claiming they knew nothing of the breach.
- Bloomberg reports that Equifax learned about this breach months before it told the public
- DOJ investigating the executives who sold off the shares.
- Equifax had a chief security officer who was a music major
- CIO, CSO “retire” in the wake of the security breaches
- In response, Equifax offered free credit monitoring as long as you were willing to sign on to an arbitration clause. See also CNBC.
- Equifax graciously responds that it won’t hold that arbitration clause against consumers
- Chatbot let’s you sue Equifax in small claims court.
- Equifax sells identity theft and credit monitoring.
- Wells Fargo opens fraudulent accounts in customers names, yet those customers cannot sue.
- AT&T v. Concepcion holds that arbitration clauses can force individuals out of class actions.
- How does the 7th Amendment right to trial by jury square with arbitration clauses?
In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.
- Almost all states, other than LA and CO, have a similar clause in their state constitution. Most other countries have eliminated jury trials.
- Carnival Cruise Lines v. Schute.
- Juries are enshrined in three different amendments: the Fifth Amendment (grand jury), the Sixth Amendment (criminal jury) and the Seventh Amendment (civil jury)
Game: Who said this about Arbitration.
Do I believe in arbitration? I do. But not in arbitration between the lion and the lamb, in which the lamb is in the morning found inside the lion.
Samuel Gompers, president of the American Federation of Labor for almost forty years, between 1886 and 1924, and the nation’s leading trade unionist and labor spokesman. Not United States v. Cruikshank.
Never arbitrate. Arbitration allows a third party to determine your destiny. It is a resort of the weak.
Predispute arbitration agreements are problematic in a number of ways, one of which is the fact that such contracts are signed well before any dispute arises between the parties. These predispute agreements are often vague and give little notice to the signing parties of the kinds of conflicts that will subject them to arbitration proceedings and the specific rights they are surrendering. Because predispute agreements are entered into before the grounds on which the waiver of rights is based can be known, there is no real “meeting of the minds,” as contract law requires between two parties who commit to a binding agreement.
Ex parte Allen, 798 So.2d 668, 776–77 (Ala. 2001). (Roy Moore, concurring). Roy Moore was the Alabama Supreme Court Justice who refused to follow the Supreme Court precedent in Obergefell, among other scandals and ethics problems.
AJ: Was this headline a Breitbart headline or a KKK headline?
- Shriley cards, pictures of white women, were used to color balance in the 1940-1970s. Things did not change re: brown people until the furniture makers and chocolate makers complained that their furnitures and chocolate not looking good on camera.
- How historically, color film was tailored towards white people.
A tip for taking better selfies:
[S]he has a tip dark-skinned folks can use to improve their club selfies using just their phones. “Stand close to a soft light source and turn three quarters to the light, so that it’s not filling in everything the same way. Kind of like a Rembrandt painting.”
RS: $33 dress shoes from Amazon.
In the after show, we discuss the Apple keynote and all the new Apple things AJ is getting.