In this episode, we talk about everything we know about Senator John McCain.
Supreme Court Predictions
Does the New York General Business Law’s prohibition of credit card surcharges violate the Free Speech Clause of the First Amendment or the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment?
- The Lochner era
- Eric Schneiderman is the current New York Attorney General
- Strict Scrutiny is thought to be strict in theory, but fatal in fact. But rational basis is a much more lenient standard that favors the Government regulation. This framework was created by the most famous footnote, Footnote Four, in Carolene Products
John McCain: Hot or Not?
- William Faulkner’s speech
- John McCain’s tasteless joke about Chelsea Clinton
- McCain’s voting record
- John McCain says he will vote for Rex Tillerson when pigs fly. But then pigs flew and McCain voted for Tillerson.
- FiveThirtyEight: Tracking Congress in the Age of Trump
- New York Mag profile on John McCain
- John McCain promises to block any Hilary Clinton Supreme Court Nominee
- LA Magazine publishes an article: John McCain utterly annihilated the Trump agenda in 4 minutes
- When we’re discussing a “Jim Johnson” switching parties, Ruchit and AJ are actually thinking of Jim Jeffords of Vermont. In 2006, Sen. Jeffords retired from Congress, and his Senate seat was won by Bernard Sanders.
In the after show, we talk about Mike Flynn & Treason:
- Washington Post broke the news about Mike Flynn. The Post also has a timeline of the events surrounding the Flynn scandal.
- Chief Justice Marshall’s opinion on the prosecution of Aaron Burr for treason (Note: This was actually a Circuit Court opinion, not a Supreme Court opinion.) For the relevant Supreme Court precedent, see Ex Parte Bollman.